Packaging games from Parallel Realities in GNU/Linux distributions

Guus Sliepen guus at debian.org
Sat Sep 12 08:59:17 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:16:23AM +0100, Stephen Sweeney wrote:

> Blob And Conquer - Music, sound effects and likely some of the textures

Sorry to bother you again, but can you perhaps narrow down which textures might
be non-free (perhaps just per subdirectory of textures/) and where you might
have gotten them from?

Some of them look like textures from the Quake series to me. Perhaps they came
with GtkRadiant?

> When I was originally approached about packaging the games for Linux
> distributions, I pointed out that many of the resources were non-Free, but I
> was told that this didn't matter, since the resources could just be packaged
> separately. I guess that wasn't really how it worked out.

To clarify a bit more, we could package them separately, but only if we knew
what license covered them. Since we don't know the license of all the sounds and
music, we cannot tell if we are allowed to distribute them at all.

(For you it might not be a problem, you got them from sites which claimed that
they were free to download, and you redistribute them in good faith that you
are allowed to do so. But Debian is a bit more strict, and needs to see some
(electronic) paperwork.)

      Guus Sliepen <guus at debian.org>