Where to keep game config, savefiles, downloadable content?

michael kapelko kornerr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 01:50:19 PDT 2011

Hi.
I participate in OGS Mahjong development
(http://opengamestudio.org/lang/en/ogs-mahjong). In half a year it's
going to reach 1.0 and the more we deploy it, the more questions
arise.
At the 4th Debian games meeting
(http://wiki.debian.org/Games/Meetings/2011-06-26) at some point I
started to argue with another game developer where to keep game
config, savefiles, downloadable content.
As a first place, ~/.config was suggested to keep it all. I then
argued that savefiles and downloadable content (in my case additional
music tracks) are not configs and take significantly more space (OGS
Mahjong has 50M of additional music).
For savefiles and additional music ~/.local/share was suggested which
makes some sense, but makes it harder for an end user to manage all
game related personal files.
We at OGS decided to keep everything in ~/.OGStudio/Mahjong to make it
easier for an end user: it contains cfg, logs, savefiles, score table,
etc.

Where do you keep config, savefiles, downloadable content?
Thanks.