Game pkg review swap

Rémi Verschelde remi at verschelde.fr
Wed Feb 3 01:27:37 PST 2016

>> /me should probably start following Fedora's games ML too.
>

> Yes that is probably a good idea, it is a quite low trafic list,
> so no need to worry about your mailbox exploding.
>
> In general I always encourage cross-distro collaboration on
> packaging games, esp. between Fedora and Debian since those both
> want to make sure the game and its assets are 100% free, which
> AFAIK Mageia is less strict about. Still Mageia contributors
> are very much welcome too!

Mageia is actually quite strict too about packaging only 100% free
stuff in the Core repository (we follow Fedora's licensing guidelines
to define what is free and what is nonfree). Nonfree but freely
redistributable stuff can however be packaged in our Nonfree repo
(which is why I packaged e.g. the GPL'ed cdogs-sdl as a nonfree game
since it reuses nonfree assets with the permission of the copyright
holders, or various games using NC or ND assets go into our Nonfree
repository too).

However we are indeed less strict about reviewing the license of each
piece of asset ourselves, so we leave it up to the packager to do as
they see fit. And usually checking what Fedora and Debian document
about this is a great resource to assess licenses beyond what upstream
might be claiming, so thanks for being so thorough. In the spirit of
cross-distro collaboration though, don't hesitate to ping a Mageia
maintainer for a game you might be interested in so that a more
thorough review of each assets' license can be done and used as a
reference for all distros.

Regards,
Rémi