Technical reviews of games

Guus Sliepen guus at debian.org
Wed Feb 3 07:57:12 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 04:20:26PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> >That got me thinking, perhaps we could do some certification for FOSS
> >games; doing a technical review, assigning a score, maybe some
> >designators like "local multiplayer support", "joypad support", etc. Set
> >up a website where we list the reviewed games. Send feedback to the
> >authors with suggestions how to fix any issues that are found.
>
> This sounds interesting, but I seriously wonder where we're going to
> find the time to do this. Also I do not think this is very useful unless
> we've people who are willing to commit time to fixing issues found from
> a review like this.

If there is a proper checklist, I think a review can be done quite
quickly (about an hour?). It can also be done when you feel like it. As
for the usefulness: it's an incentive for the upstream authors to
improve their games, and it may help people interested in games to
quickly find out what the (technically) good FOSS games are.

Of course, making a checklist that covers lots of games and that
includes suggestions for improvements to send to upstream authors is
somewhat more work.

      Guus Sliepen <guus at debian.org>