position accuracy

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Wed Aug 1 05:08:10 PDT 2007

Andrew Turner wrote:
> I suggest having a look at RFC 4119: A Presence-based GEOPRIV Location
> Object Format
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4119
> and in fact all pieces of GeoPriv just to see what a group of people
> spending 6 years thinking about all these problems come up with. :)

I have (copying that was my original plan), but I decided to base my
implementation on the XMPP user location protocol*. It's a bit shorter
but maps fairly well to rfc4119/PIDF-LO. E.g. the "area" you asked about
is A4 and/or A5 in PIDF-LO (in english it would be "city division or
neighborhood").

I'm open to changes though -- they should happen now, before we commit
to an API.

*) http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html

> Curiously, what is the entire "message spec" looking like now? How do
> we specify what types of data are required and what is optional?

If you mean just the API definition:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=geoclue.git;a=blob;f=geoclue/position_glue.xml
I've only added one method yet, going to work on the others now.

I don't think we can make any data required -- it's easy to find a real
world example for any omission. I am going to add the
civic_location_supports-method for checking what data should be expected
from this backend. The "convenience methods"-idea where geoclue would
take care of parsing a presentable string out of whatever the backend
offers might be useful too. Possibly like this:

       "street address" = (street, postalcode, region, country)
       "city-wide location" = (locality, region, country)
       "location details" = (building, room, text)

As an example someone in the states would get "San Fransisco, CA, USA"
as their "city wide location" where as I'd get "Helsinki, Finland"
(since there probably won't be a region).

-jussi