manual position committed

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Wed Aug 15 03:16:27 PDT 2007

I've committed the new manual position backend. Adding the possibility
to modify coordinate data, civic data or both in gconf made it a bit
more complicated, but seems to be working now (signals and all).

The coordinate-->civic geocoding does not work but that seems to
be a geocode_yahoo-backend problem. The other way round it's pretty
nice: Setting any amount of civic location data in gconf (say, just the
City and Country) emits both a civic_location_changed and, after
geocoding, a current_position_changed signal.

There's a "valid_until" gconf-key that needs to be set to a value higher
than current time, or the backend won't emit the signals. I'm still open
to other, more generic solutions.

Todo list:
 * Implement service_changed signal emission
 * Add gconf schemas
 * refactor (it's fairly rough right now, but I wanted it in so
   Keith won't break my tree with more API changes :)

Some observations about API changes:
 * civic location method/signal should have timestamp argument too?
 * I assume timestamp is time of original data retrieval,
   in case of manual backend that would be when user inputs the data?
 * Maybe current_position should actually work like "last_position":
   always return the last valid position and let the client check if
   timestamp is acceptable? If clients are interested in current data,
   they should subscribe to signals anyway... The function should be
   renamed though: "current" just doesn't describe this behaviour.