Wifi positioning backends

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Wed Jul 25 03:35:38 PDT 2007

Stephen Wing wrote:
> Andrew Turner wrote:
>> Here are the other cell location projects that I know of:
> Thanks for the list - I tried a few and didn't feel that they had the
> coverage of Navizon (presumably the money back element of Navizon has
> encouraged it to be widely used).

Unfortunately they offer no information on the database size or
coverage, so comparisons are not going to be meaningful (except very
locally).

> I especially see integrating Geoclue (Maemo version) with Maemo Mapper
> would be useful for those without GPS units, especially with Mobile
> Phone support to provide more functionality than currently available
> within Maemo Mapper.  Without mobile phone support, the end user might
> as well use the functions with Maemo Mapper already.

cell tower positioning would be nice, but if I had to prioritize I'd say
Access Point positioning is more important:
 * it will be easier to implement (except maybe on OpenMoko :)
 * it will be useful to more people
 * it has potential to be (a lot) more accurate
 Of course, I'm assuming the databases are available...

-jussi