GeoClue and Android LBS

iain iain at openedhand.com
Wed Nov 14 15:53:59 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 23:06 +0200, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:

> 1. It is interesting to note that while they do "abstract away" the
> source of the data, the info is still available:
>   requiresNetwork <boolean>
>   requiresSatellite <boolean>
>   requiresCell <boolean>
> We do not have this in the current API or the proposed one.

Ah...this could be a way around the complications that we were having
with the org.freedesktop.Geoclue.GetStatus method and requiring the
backends to be hooked into things like network-manager.

How about having 2 methods, Provides and Requires on the Geoclue
interface.

The master client would query the GPS backend and it could say "Provides
GPS" if the GPS is present. The hostip backend could requireNetwork, and
the master client would search for something that providesNetwork (in
reality, the master client would be linked to say network-manager and
would know that it can provideNetwork or not). A backend could
requireGPS and the master client would know whether or not anything
providesGPS.

Thoughts?

iain