Location-based Mashups for Nokia Internet Tablets

Henri Bergius henri.bergius at iki.fi
Mon Sep 10 05:21:54 PDT 2007

Hi!

I ran into your diploma work "Location-based Mashups for Nokia
Internet Tablets":
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/cgi-bin/NCSTRL/NCSTRL_view.pl?id=DIP-2579&mod=0&engl=0&inst=FAK

As your thesis did not discuss GeoClue or the GeoRSS2POI work we've
done for Maemo Mapper, I thought to give you a heads-up on those...

GeoClue is a generic position framework which abstracts various
position sources like GPS, hostip and WiFi access point location. This
gives application developers a much easier API to get an answer to the
question of "Where am I?". In addition to coordinates, GeoClue also
supports XEP-0080 -like civic location properties like street
addresses.

GeoClue moved forward quite a lot this summer through the maemo Summer
of Code, and is now in incubation state in the GNOME Mobile and
Embedded project.

Some more information on GeoClue:
http://www.slideshare.net/ajturner/geoclue-state-of-the-map-2007/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bergie/1183413084/
http://vilunki.wordpress.com/

Also some work has been done to bring GeoRSS data into Maemo Mapper. See:

http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/maemo_mapper-openstreetmap_and_wikipedia.html
http://tigert.1g.fi/blog-files/guadec2007/georss2poi.pl

Would be great to discuss some of the themes of your paper :-)

/Henri

--
Henri Bergius
Motorcycle Adventures and Free Software