status update

Jussi Kukkonen jku at o-hand.com
Wed Apr 9 12:57:15 PDT 2008

Cheers,

Bergie has been pestering me about a release (which is a good thing). I
couldn't do that, so wrote a short report on the situation.

I was really hoping to get a release out the door, and have been doing a
lot of testing during the last 2-3 weeks because of that. Among other
things I've modified Mauku (the microblogging client) and gnome-panel
clock applet* to use the new geoclue code, to get some real world
experience.

*) http://folks.o-hand.com/jku/Screenshot1.png

 Unfortunately (or fortunately) this has led to finding bugs... Most
work was spent in getting the provider selection in geoclue master
working. This has turned out to be a really pesky problem: there are so
many parts moving at the same time that getting it acceptable has proven
to be very difficult.
 I also found out that refcount-with-dbus-NameOwnerChanged-signals trick
in providers does not actually work outside the simple test programs:
D-Bus only sends the name release signal when the client exits, not when
the dbus proxy is unreferenced as I believed -- what this means is that
I will have to add a Close-method to the provider API (no changes to
client C API though).
 I just noticed I haven't pushed most of the fixes to fd.o git, will do
that during thursday.

Summed up: sorry, I'm not done yet and I'll even have to add things to
the API. I'm _really_ trying to wrap up though (getting a bit frustrated
myself here).
 Henri, catch me on IRC/jabber on thursday: we can discuss demo
possibilities.

 Jussi

--
Jussi Kukkonen <jku at o-hand.com>