about providers shutdown

Jussi Kukkonen jhkukkon at cc.hut.fi
Thu Apr 17 04:12:26 PDT 2008

Emanuele Leomanni wrote:
> I have seen that when I run my application developed using geoclue API all
> providers needed are executed automatically.

The automatic shutdown didn't really work as intended (see my status
update post couple of days ago): I'm currently working on this on
"refcount" git branch, will post a mail about it soon.

Still, I don't understand this:

> If I kill my application the provider is still alive and I am not able
> to run the application again.
> It seems as if the provider is not able to shutdown.
> There is a solution for this without killing every time the provider
> by hand?

You should never have to kill or start providers by hand... and a
provider does not really "need" to shut down, that's just something I've
added to keep memory usage down -- it should be able the respond to
multiple clients. As a matter of fact there could be NO_AUTO_SHUTDOWN
option (either compile- or run-time) if that's wanted.

Are you sure the dbus autostart works? In other word, you're not
starting the provider by hand in the first place?

Jussi