Geoclue and WebKit: unit tests

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Jun 16 00:49:58 PDT 2010

On 15.06.2010 11:16, Javier Fernandez Garcia-Boente wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I've been working on the Geolocation unit tests of the WebKitGtk port.
> Currently, only 3 tests are enabled in the Gtk port, which on the other
> hand, is the only port that implements the Geolocation API nowadays. I
> think that completing the unit tests set would be a great stuff and it
> could improve a lot the visibility of the GeoClue project.
>
> I've been working on the following test:
> WebKit/LayoutTests/fast/dom/Geolocation/success.html
>
> Perhaps my environment is not fully configured or incomplete, but the
> test fail because its waiting for some web service response, in case
> some of the related providers was selected, or its waiting for Inet
> connection. I had problems with the NetworkManager; i had to hack the
> NetworkManager code to always return TRUE when connectivity request is
> sent. The lack of a correct Provider selection algorithm could also
> affected.
>
> Im not sure how would be the better approach to face this problem so i
> would like to get some feedback from the GeoClue community. I've though
> that the Manual provider could be used for unit testing purposes, but it
> would require some human interaction, if I've correctly understood how
> the provider works.

I had simillar experience. Geoclue should definitely have a better
README to help people to get started.

geoclue-properties was a quite handy tool for me to set things up and
tests stuff.
http://blog.pierlux.com/2009/06/08/introducing-geoclue-properties/en/
http://git.gnome.org/browse/geoclue-properties/

Also most of the providers have a comment at the top of their source
that tells how to configure them.

> Another idea that came up into my mind was to create a Dummy provider,
> which gets the dummy position/address previously set by the unit tests
> framework.
There are example and Manual providers already. You could probably use
the manual provider.
>  The Javascript unit test framework is setting a fixed
> location for all the WebKit ports through the SetPosition API, which has
> to be implemented by GeoClue. We could implement such method in the
> Dummy provider to locally store the dummy position to be retrieved when
> GetPosition is called.

The only providers I got to work somehow where "manual" and "localnet".
I have not gps attached to the system.