[ghns] DXS and XMPP

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 09:45:30 PDT 2007

Oi,

Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2007 18:00 schrieb John Nilsson:
> Hi,
>
> I just read about GHNS on lwn.net, and was positively intrigued by the
> project. Reading about DXS made me think that there is some overlap with
> XMPP, specially PubSub [1] but XMPP seems to have specs for many things
> [2] that DXS could use.

The API exposes completely asynchronous events, so if there's a way to fuse
notifications about new/updated entries into the KNS engine, they should be
picked up right away.

Notifications/subscriptions are already handled with by DXS (our interactive
web service) and put into the database, but there's no notification happening
yet. Since KDE 4 will strengthen its IM integration with Jabber, Telepathy
and such toys, we could piggyback on this to get the information from the
server (e.g. web service) to the user. The key issue here is that we do not
want to establish permanent connections between the desktop and every
possible server out there, but permanent connections are a must-have for
notifications. Therefore, using Jabber to do this (a single permanent
connection) sounds like a good idea.

Josef