[Glamor] Gsoc 2013 GLAMOR

Zhigang Gong zhigang.gong at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 10 22:24:34 PDT 2013

Ravi,

You are welcome to contribute on glamor project. Although the performance
tuning is not trivial, there are indeed some opportunities to make big
progress in this area.

Before you get started on performance tuning, I suggest you to set up a
performance base line and choose a good performance measuring tools. Here is
a good reference

For you:

http://ickle.wordpress.com/2012/08/17/glamor-0-5/

You can pick some cases which glamor is slower than uxa. And start to
analyze the performance hot spot. And try to improve it. As to the glamor's
more information, we only can give you the source code and one simple
introduction page at:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Glamor

In general, from my point of view there are two major directions to optimize
the performance.

1.      Improve the trapezoid compositor's performance.

2.      Change the rendering mechanism, and accumulate as much as possible
drawing operations among multiple X rendering calls, such as the glyphs
rendering. I call this delay flushing.