[Glamor] Wayland / Glamor DDX?

darxus at chaosreigns.com darxus at chaosreigns.com
Thu Mar 7 10:38:08 PST 2013

Wayland ( http://wayland.freedesktop.org/ ) could use a hardware
independent, hardware accelerated DDX.  Similar to its wlshm DDX, but with
hardware acceleration.  It has come up a few times that Glamor would
probably be a good way to do that.

So I thought it was worth mentioning here, in case anybody around here
would have some idea where to begin.

Wayland is a display server protocol (library) intended to replace X,
created by people who have worked on X for a long time.  Weston is its
reference implementation.

It has great backward compatibility with X, called XWayland, by running a
full instance of X.org rootless: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html
This requires some modifications to the DDXes so that output gets written
to the Wayland display server.

The hardware specific DDXes with existing Wayland support are Intel,
AMD/Radeon/ATI, and Nvidia/Nouveau (open source).  The Intel one is kept
up to date.  The ATI one apparently needs some work related to multiple
displays, and the Nouveau one needs a couple patches applied:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-March/007807.html

krh, the creator of wayland, once said to vignatti, who does a lot of
work on xwayland: "xwayland support in xf8-video-intel is still useful,
but it would be good to have a generic ddx that supports wayland, either
with shm and sw rendering or egl+glamor".

There is an active #wayland channel on irc.freenode.net.

There's a bunch of info on the state of Wayland here:
http://www.chaosreigns.com/wiki/Wayland_State

--
"The most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning
of wisdom is: 'I do not know'." - Data, ST:TNG 2x2 Where Silence Has Lease