[Glamor] about glamor Xv support

zhigang gong zhigang.gong at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:39:38 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM, bradpitt <hechuanbear at qq.com> wrote:

> I'm a master student from Peking University. I want to apply for this
> project, however I have a few questions about it so far.
>
> 1. I haven't any Xv driver implementation in glamor source code. Do I need
> to add a Xv driver(eg. glamor_video.c) first?

Right, you need to create a new file to implement Xv support in glamor.

> 2. The basic goal is to implement colorspace conversions for various YUV
> formats. You want me to use GPU to transfrom YUV to RGB?

IMO, you will have to use the GPU to accelerate the colorspace conversion
eventually, otherwise I'm afraid that you will not get a usable Xv
implementation.

> 3. Advanced goals. Improved scaling algorithms: I find some ddx drivers do
> this by calling xf86clipvideohelper, Do you want to use openGL to
> accelerate it?
> 4. and the rest: Support for brightness/contrast/saturation/hue
> adjustments;Support for gamma adjustment;Support for colorspace
> selection. I think it's quite easy to do it using CPU. And I have done this
> using hardware other than GPU. I suppose you want me to use GLSL to do it?

In summary, I need some specific details about your requirement since I'm
> not quite familiar with glamor project. But I'm involved in developing a
> ddx driver using GPU through EXA to accelerate 2d render in our lab, so I'm
> very excited when I see this project, maybe I can learn a lot from it.

In general glamor's purpose is to use all the capacities provided by OpenGL
to accelerate those 2D rendering operations, so you are always encouraged
to use GLSL to implement/accelerate any operations if it's suitable to do
so.  And you are welcome to participate this project.
I personally don't have much time on this project, but I'm happy to provide
help here. I suggest you to learn UXA firstly, as glamor is based on UXA's
framework actually. And then you can implement Xv support by using CPU to
do the color conversion, at last you can try to implement a GLSL version
and see the performance improvement.