GStreamer SDK – Preview release for Android

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 13:33:19 PDT 2012

On Fr, 2012-10-05 at 16:10 -0400, cowwoc wrote:
> What's the impact of static linking followed by dynamic linking as
> you mentioned? I assume from a legal/LGPL point of view, it's as if
> we're dynamically linking our application with GStreamer, correct?

I'm not a lawyer but general understanding of LGPL and static linking
is, that you need to provide all means to be able to relink the
application against modified versions of the LGPL'd libraries.

If you take a look at the approach we did for static linking here you'll
notice that this is absolutely nothing to worry about. All (LGPL'd)
GStreamer code is linked into a single shared library from these static
libraries and your application code is a) separate from this and b) uses
GStreamer and related libraries like a shared library, thus the same
rules apply as for using GStreamer as a shared library.

E.g. the demo application I linked in the original mail contains one
shared library libgstreamer_android.so, which contains all of GStreamer,
dependencies, plugins. And another library libtutorial-5.so, which
contains the native code of the application.

There should be no problem developing closed source, commercial
applications with this approach as it's the same situation you have on
desktop systems with shared LGPL'd libraries.