Gstreamer SDK Preview Questions

Sean McNamara smcnam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:58:44 PDT 2012

Hello,

Today I saw the very exciting Gstreamer SDK preview build with Android
support. I haven't begun using it to build my application yet, but I did
notice that the preview does not ship GstSoundtouch plugin from
gst-plugins-bad. Is this an accidental omission or will this not appear in
the final build? I noticed both other -bad plugins and -ugly plugins are
shipped. The latter also seem to suffer from the very patent encumbrances
that the Fluendo codec pack helps alleviate on the desktop (by at least
making it legal to decode these formats in Gstreamer in MPEG-LA respecting
countries) so I was a bit surprised to see mad and faad included.

My understanding is, libsoundtouch has manual assembler that's  optimized
for x86, but it should run on any CPU with the assembly replaced by
high-level routines in C, which are already in the codebase. Hopefully the
compiler and the brute force of modern ARM CPUs should together deliver
good performance. So if libsoundtouch and the associated gst plugin build
successfully on the targeted ARM platform of the SDK, I would really like
to see this plugin added to the SDK. If there are build or performance
problems with libsoundtouch on ARM, I have a very good rapport with its
author and may be able to enlist his help. ;)

My next question is, do the docs specify how to add a new plugin to the
build if building from source? I have another plugin (containing only a
source element) which I want to integrate in my custom build of the SDK,
written in C and using standard autotools build system and libsoup. Any
tips would be appreciated. Is it necessary to build the entire SDK in order
to add another plugin shared object using "external" sources, or can it be
added to the existing build by using an identical toolchain?

Lastly, I would pay good money for the Fluendo decoder pack (mainly
interested in audio) to be available on Android for developer and/or
end-user licensing. I am hoping that this is on Fluendo's radar given how
many resources they have invested in Android already.

Thanks,

Sean