Problems building GStreamer Android tutorials

Rich Lucas lucasweb at me.com
Sun Feb 17 19:44:51 PST 2013

I'm running into a number of issues attempting to build the GStreamer Android tutorials (http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Android+tutorial+1%3A+Link+against+GStreamer).

My environment is:

Mac OS X 7
Android SDK version 17
Android NDK 8d
I am able to build and run the NDK samples both in Eclipse (Juno) and from the command line.

I have downloaded http://cdn.gstreamer.com/android/arm/gstreamer-sdk-android-arm-debug-2012.11.tar.bz2 and added the GSTREAMER_SDK_ROOT_ANDROID environment variable to my .bash_profile.

When I try to build android-tutorial-1 via Eclipse I get the following error:

12:12:05 **** Incremental Build of configuration Default for project Tutorial1 ****
/apps/tools/android-ndk-r8d/ndk-build all
jni/Android.mk:13: *** GSTREAMER_SDK_ROOT_ANDROID is not defined!.  Stop.

12:12:05 Build Finished (took 104ms)
I have tried adding GSTREAMER_SDK_ROOT_ANDROID to the C++ build variables in Eclispe but it makes no difference. I'm not sure why this isn't working.

When I try to build via the command line I get the following error:

/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
GStreamer      : [GEN] => gst-build/gstreamer_android.c
GStreamer      : [COMPILE] => gst-build/gstreamer_android.c
gst-build/gstreamer_android.c:2:21: fatal error: gst/gst.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [gst-build/gstreamer_android.o] Error 1
In this case I can't figure out is why gst/gst.h can not be resolved?

Any help you can provide you be much appreciated.