HLS and keyframes

Dave Walker dave at happybits.co
Wed Mar 5 19:46:07 PST 2014

I'm experimenting with the HLS plugin, and have found that playback behaves
much, much better if HLS segments begin with a key frame. Without key
frames at the beginning I get skipping, dropped frames, and other glitches.

I'm wondering why that is? I'm imagining that the HLS demuxer is simply
responsible for fetching new content and providing it in a continuous
stream to the next element in the pipeline. If that's the case then the
exact boundaries between segments wouldn't matter.

I definitely understand that for seeking, keyframes at the start of
segments is crucial. But I'm just doing live streaming.

Thanks.

Dave