HLS and keyframes

Dave Walker dave at happybits.co
Thu Mar 6 07:19:20 PST 2014

The spec I'm reading seems looser than that:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos-http-live-streaming-12, with SHOULD
language instead of MUST. Particularly in the presence of the new byte
range segments (which I know aren't supported by gstreamer yet) I wouldn't
think it would be desirable to force every segment to have its own PPS/SPS.

But my question is more about the behavior I'm seeing. Would you expect me
to be getting glitches and dropouts with segments that *don't* start with a
keyframe and PPS/SPS? Does the next stage in the pipeline treat each
segment independently, rather than as one big continuous stream? If it's
all one big stream I wouldn't think it would matter where the boundaries
between segments are.

Dave