minimal configuration for an Android player

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Mar 13 08:34:20 PDT 2014

On Do, 2014-03-13 at 07:06 -0700, Dave Walker wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I'm integrating Gstreamer into my application for HLS and MP4 playback. At
> this point I'm trying to figure out how to configure the library to produce
> a minimally sized gstreamer_android.so. At this point my library's about
> 6.5MB.
>
> So far I have things configured as:
>
> CORE := coreelements audioconvert audiorate audioresample gio
> typefindfunctions videoconvert videorate videoscale autodetect videofilter
> playback
> CODECS := audioparsers isomp4 fragmented videoparsersbad androidmedia
> mpegtsdemux deinterlace
> NET := soup
> GSTREAMER_PLUGINS         := $(CORE) $(CODECS) $(NET)
> $(GSTREAMER_PLUGINS_SYS)
> G_IO_MODULES              := gnutls
> GSTREAMER_EXTRA_DEPS      := gstreamer-video-1.0
> include $(GSTREAMER_NDK_BUILD_PATH)/gstreamer-1.0.mk
>
> And I'm using the playbin support rather than constructing my own pipeline.
> Empirically I can remove some of these and still play, but when I look at
> what they do I'm afraid that in some situations they will be valuable to
> include.
>
> Do any of these plugins look completely extraneous for playback support?
> Would hand-constructing a pipeline allow me to remove the playback and
> decodebin support, both of which are roughly 1MB a piece in static form? Am
> I chasing my tail trying to get the library much below 6.5MB?

I'm having some changes locally that needs further cleanup to get this
down to something around 4MB. I'll clean them up over the next days and
publish them somewhere.

(For some details, you can shrink libiconv, libgio, orc and libglib
quite a bit with some changes)

Expertise, Straight from the Source