How to resume video to android native with gstreamer overlay interface ?

stic at free.fr stic at free.fr
Thu Sep 18 13:45:31 PDT 2014

Hi,
regarding what is explained here http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Android+tutorial+3%3A+Video about how to send video to an Android native surface, I would like to resume sending video to this video sink.
The fact is that when the app is "paused" the surface is destroyed, and so it's impossible to send any more data to the sink.
I would like the pipeline to continue in background and the output to be resumed to the video sink as soon as a new android surface is created when the app is "resumed" too.

I made different tries without any success:
 - tried to let the pipeline continue to run when app is paused and set a new window handle to the video sink overlay interface when the app is resumed
 - tried also to do this and block the video sink pad to not disturb and generate errors in the pipeline

I generally fail with following errors:
E/GStreamer+egladaption(24299): 0:00:21.145177000 0x69b97d50 gstegladaptation.c:347:got_gl_error GL ERROR: glDrawElements returned 0x0506
E/GStreamer+eglglessink(24299): 0:00:21.145535000 0x69b97d50 gsteglglessink.c:1841:gst_eglglessink_render:<videosink> Rendering disabled for this frame

I don't know very well how the video sink and surface work together so I don't have a clear idea on what to do, but maybe the solution is quite simple ... ?

Anyone would be kind enough to point me on how to achieve this ?

Thank you so much.