gstreamer on Android L: no more amcviddec, PIE problem

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed May 13 09:01:37 PDT 2015

On Mi, 2015-05-13 at 08:36 -0700, Gregoire Gentil wrote:

> On 05/13/2015 12:11 AM, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Di, 2015-05-12 at 19:58 -0700, Gregoire Gentil wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have gstreamer congo 2013.06 for Android working well on Android 4.x.
> >> On Android 5.x, it seems that there are (at least) two problems:
> >
> > Everything on gstreamer.com is outdated and using the old, unsupported
> > 0.10 release series of GStreamer. It's also in no way connected to the
> > GStreamer project.
> >
> > You can find new binaries that are known to work well on Android 5.x too
> > here: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/android/1.4.5/
> > And the official website of the GStreamer project here:
> > http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org
>
> Thanks. I will try. A few more questions: Is hardware decode supported?

Yes

> Is there a tarball with the runtime executable to run gst-inspect on the
> device? I don't see them on the page.

No, that's not the supported way of using GStreamer on Android. You can
get dynamic libraries and gst-inspect if you build things yourself
though, but you're on your own then and it's generally more tricky to
set up properly than using GStreamer like in the tutorials.

Also hardware decoding does not work unless you run GStreamer from a
real Android app.

> Is there an update of the
> excellent old Android Gstreamer tutorials?

You can find the tutorials ported to 1.x here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~slomo/gst-sdk-tutorials/