[gst-devel] Some ideas on type detection

Myers W. Carpenter myers at fil.org
Fri Aug 18 21:05:09 CEST 2000

> needs rethinking:
>
> - type detection (too slow, need to load all the codecs)
> - codec registry (same as type detection, is not scalable)

	Types are file/stream types (like avi and quicktime) and codec are
codecs  in the file (like Divx or Sorenson), right?

	We have a space in /etc/gstreamer were we have a "types" file.  When we
add a new typewe run "gstreamer-register" and feed it a file that comes
with the new plugin that has the mimetype, possible extentions, and
something like an entry to the /etc/magic file that let's us guess what
it is.
	When you open a file/streamer, you also pass the mimetype (if you know
it), or the opening function can look for an extention to the file.
	If it finds a possible match with the extention/mimetype it loads in
the plugin for that type and has the plugin check to see if it's a valid
file.  If it doesn't match it looks for another match (or maybe loads
all the plugins and trys them one by one).
	If no match then it tries all the "magic" entries to try and find out
what it is.

	For codecs you would also run "gstreamer-register" but with --codec or
something.  The codecs file would give infomation as to what file type
it knows it's found it and the registry number it has it those files
(ie. divx encoded files have the "DIV4" in their header).  Each filetype
would have it's own file. So /etc/gstreamer would look like:
	types
	quicktime
	avi
	ogg
	...etc...

	It would be cool to do this dynamicly but I can't think of how.

	There could also be a ~/.gstreamer/ directory with this stuff in to for
user installed types/codecs

	Ok... have to go on my trip now... see ya.
		myers

--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.