[Fwd: Re: [gst-devel] Getting mindshare]

Richard Boulton richard.boulton at open.muscat.com
Sat Aug 19 12:38:28 CEST 2000

> > - Change our name.  GStreamer really doesn't evoke "Media Library".  My
> > sugguestion is "GNU Media Kit" or gmk for short.
>
> I prefer something with GNOME in it. Today, anything with glib and/or
> GTK+ automatically becomes GNOME related (well...). Can we call it GNU
> when it is tied to GTK+, GNOME, BONOBO, and all the other GNOME stuff?

I agree - I think Gnome Media Kit would be fine.
On the other hand, I'm not sure we need to change the name - we just need
to promote the current name agressively / get adopted as the official
Gnome media library, etc.

> Those are the things we need: Cool, polished multifunctional apps people
> want to use and talk about. We need to show that GStreamer is capable of
> much more than simple playback, I was thinking about pretty GUI
> MPEG2->DivX/MPEG encoders etc...

A nice polished simple mp3 player would go quite a long way too, though...
Something with a nice simple GUI like that of Alsaplayer, which just
compiles, installs and works.

Now that there are enough docs for me to begin to see what's needed for
that, I'll see what I can do about putting such a thing together.

> - need to detach from GTK+ and use glibs 1.4 object model some day.
This is particularly important - the reqirement that you have an X server
is very annoying - particularly if you just want to play music...

--
Richard