[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] gstreamer wtay

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at tvd.be
Mon Mar 13 23:49:59 CET 2000

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Wim Taymans wrote:
>
> > A non functional avi parser.
>
> You might take a look at the WAV code.  There's a whole bunch of stuff in
> there to handle RIFF files, which AFAICT is all AVI files are.  I've

Yes, I took a quick look at it. I think it does not handle recursive stuff
well, WAV is much more flat than avi, I remember it didn't work as easy as I
thought it would be.

I plan to restructure the plugin tree a bit. It's going to get messy when we
add encoders (I'm running out of directory names...). We'd have something like

mpeg1/encoder
     /decoder
     /parser
mpegsystem/encoder
          /decoder
          /parser
riff/wav
    /avi
filters/video/color
             /...
        audio/stereo
             /...

also in the root dir some general libraries:

libs/riff
    /...

problem is that it involves removing/adding because CVS does not have a
rename or move AFAIK. Better to do it now.

> thought of putting the generic RIFF code either in a library or a plugin.
> The thing with a plugin is that symbol matching gets hard.  Probably what
> we should do is have glib do lazy loading, and plugins that require others
> can explicitely request that they be loaded.  Thus a RIFF plugin could be
> reused by both AVI and WAV, even though it isn't an actual element.

That would be the idea. I want to try this with the videosink. I could move
all the color conversion code into a filter plugin and have the videosink
load that when needed.

Wim

--
Those who sweat in flames of hell,	Leaden eared, some thought their bowels
Here's the reason that they fell:	Lispeth forth the sweetest vowels.

Some the lord did sorely try		Jabber of the mindless horde
Assembling all their pleas in hex.	Sequel next did mock the lord
Speech as crabbed as devil's crable	Slothful sequel so enfangled
Hex that marked on Tower Babel		Its speaker's lips became entangled
The highest rung.			In his bung.

Because in life they prayed so ill
And offered god such swinish swill
Now they sweat in flames of hell