[gst-devel] Anybody here?

Myers W. Carpenter myers at fil.org
Wed May 10 18:28:08 CEST 2000

	Looking through the archives all traffic on this list seems to have
stopped last month.  Did you all get abducted by aliens?

	I've been working on a similar project to gstreamer called libAV.  It
was started by diffrent authors of movie frontend players (frontends to
smpeg and xanim) who wanted to branch out and be able to have a
universal movie player.  After looking at what needed to be done it
seemed like we needed a plugin  archutechure with each plugin
representing a filetype.

	Idealy libAV would have done decoding and encoding, and been desktop
indepentant (ie. no reason for a duplication of effort for the gnome and
kde projects and I wanted to write command line converters between
formats)

	gstreamer seems to have the same goals as what I saw libAV doing.
Rather than have two diffrent project doing the exact same thing, I'd
rather move over here, but I have a few questions:
		- are you just targeting gnome/gtk? Or could I write a command line
util or a KDE app using gstreamer?
		- what are you dependant on?
		- why the emphisis on streaming media in your name?  When I was doing
a sweep through freshmeat looking for other projects like this I don't
think I gave enought attention to gstreamer because it seemed to be all
about streaming and not about playing the files I already had.

	I look forward to hearing back from you.  If the aliens only let you
read email, but not respond, try and harness your telepathic abilities
and get in touch and I'll send some Space Marines.

	BTW: I couldn't get a copy of the CVS or 0.0.9 to build for me.  I get
the same error for both. Here are the errors:

/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT -O2 -Wall -c gsttrace.c
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT
-O2 -Wall -Wp,-MD,.deps/gsttrace.pp -c gsttrace.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o
gsttrace.lo
gsttrace.c: In function `gst_trace_read_tsc':
gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
AREG.
gsttrace.c: In function `_gst_trace_add_entry':
gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
AREG.
gsttrace.c: In function `read_tsc':
gsttrace.c:35: Invalid `asm' statement:
gsttrace.c:35: fixed or forbidden register 0 (ax) was spilled for class
AREG.
make[3]: *** [gsttrace.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer/gst'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer/gst'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/myers/gstreamer'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

numbers:~/gstreamer$ gcc --version
2.95.2

--
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.