[gst-devel] feature request...
wim.taymans at chello.be
Tue Oct 3 20:55:27 CEST 2000
Hi to you all,
We need a release soon.
I'm currently trying to create a fairly usable glade-like
GUI design tool for pipelines, but it will take some
time to complete that task.
What do you guys consider to be a crucial feature before
making a 0.9.9-beta1 or something release?
The current status:
- stable base library
- state management
- some autoplugging
- xml externalisation
- fast assembly optimised libraries
- docs for the base system
- partial manual
- mpeg1 video/parser
- mpeg2 video/parser
- mp3 decoder/parser
- mp2 audio encoder
- mpeg system multiplexer
- vorbis encoder/decoder
- DivX :-) encoder/decoder and other win32 codecs using WINE
- mjpeg encoder/decoder
- avi parser/muxer
- AC3 decoder/parser
- mpeg2 subtitle decoder
* audio filters
- stereo effect
- volume effect
- sample rate conversion
* video filter
* video element
- GTK based with Xv extension
* video capture
- v4l element
Work in progress:
- better introspection of the plugins so that the editor can
- mpeg video/audio parser elements are useless now with cothreads.
- bufferpools not implemented in some codecs.
- gstclock (general clock functions)
- MMX runtime detection in *ALL* plugins
Need to be redone:
- gstplay (make more dynamic)
- fix gstplay (seeking in MPEG2/AVI etc..)
Need some thoughts:
- plugin/type handling (code looks ugly)
- Quality control (frame skipping etc...)
- user installed codecs
- preferences (favorite codec etc..)
- a nice logo
Untested (need to investigate)
- error handling
Nice to have (later?):
- BONOBO component for gstplay
- more avi codecs
- network components (RTP, shoutcast/icecast)
- CORBA wrapper for GstElement?
- mp3 id tag handling.
- GTK+/glib 1.4
- GNOME capplet
- more ports (PPC status?)
- merge libDV?
- cool audio/video effects
- mpeg/avi cutter (video editing)
- multifile source
- guile scripting/python bindings, ...
- (your suggestion goes here...)
Need to be done before release:
- update web-site
- check RPM builds
I wanted to create a new sourceforge project to create a few apps that
use the GStreamer framework. My primary goal was to have something like
FlaskMPEG for Linux/UNIX. I currently have trouble accessing a site with
SSL (kernel/glibc problem?) so this will have to wait.
A FlaskMPEG like encoder would be quite straightforward with the current
framework. We could even throw in an MPEG->avi (DivX :-) recoder with
no extra effort. The main "problem" is the GUI, so no real problem really.
The final objective would be to have an all-round video editing package.
I believe this task can only be accomplished if we start to write the basic
components one by one and glue them together with BONOBO. We should also
start to convert some of the existing audio editors into the architecture.
A GIMP element would be nice too...
So, when we have a release and things are stable (core, editor, gstplay,..)
I will try to throw out a few apps, fixing the core components when needed.
No need to tell you that any help will be highly appreciated :-)
You are in a maze of UUCP connections, all alike.
More information about the gstreamer-devel