[gst-devel] INCSCHED1: scheduling / threading branch of GStreamer

Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor tim at tool-man.org
Sun Apr 1 19:57:45 CEST 2001

Matt Howell wrote:

> you're correct, tim -- i used the term loosely.  a more precise title would be
> "State-change Race Conditions and Proposed Solutions"

Now, you're probably going to think I'm trying to pick a fight :)  ...

Unless I've misunderstood one of the scenarios (a distinct possibility)
a more accurate heading would be: "Liveness Problems and Proposed
Solutions".

I don't see how they are race conditions, either.  It's tempting to
think of deadlock as a type of race condition, but typically the term
"race condition" is reserved for describing code that relies on
scheduling to keep other threads from accessing objects in intermediate
(i.e. inconsistent) states.

I don't mean to be pedantic.  However, my C-fu is minimal and my
concurrent C programming skills are non-existent, so I can't divine
understanding by perusing the code...at least not easily.  The higher
level documentation and notes are how I grok gstreamer right now.

I'm /not/ saying these scenarios don't have deadlock or race conditions.
  I'm saying "I don't see them".  That may mean they aren't there.  More
likely it means means I lack the understanding of gstreamer internals to
"see" them based on your notes.  This is probably fine.  Your notes were
intended for internal developers, not for gstreamer groupies like me :)

--
Tim Taylor
tim at tool-man.org