[gst-devel] Plugins..

zaheer at grid9.net zaheer at grid9.net
Wed Apr 4 00:59:44 CEST 2001

Hi

Since friday, I have added to CVS a stereo2mono element that converts
audio from stereo2mono as well as mu law encoder and decoder elements
which convert to and from linear PCM audio to mu law audio.  These all use
the new capabilities API.  I have also modified in CVS the parseau element
to use the new capabilities API.

While doing this, I have been doing some thinking (not very healthy for me
but anyway).  I was thinking that before gstreamer gets really massive,
that we adopt a maintainer policy per plugin and have README files inside
each plugin's directory detailing what the plugin does, any quirks with
it, conditions it needs before it'll work, whats left to do in the plugin
and the status of the plugin and of course who the maintainer is.

I was also thinking that this kind of information should be able to be
read from the web.  This IMHO would make application developers' life a
lot easier, as they would know what they can or cannot do and who to
contact regarding a plugin.  IMHO this would also relieve the amount of
work that currently only a handful of ppl (such as Wim and Erik) are doing
on the plugins.

Also what has been suggested is that the maintainer would provide a test
suite for their plugin.  Obviously all this cannot be done at a go, but
done incrementally.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Zaheer