[gst-devel] What projects are underway?

Dan Dennedy ddennedy at coolsite.net
Thu Apr 19 17:23:30 CEST 2001

Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2001 22:44:03 -0500, Dan Dennedy wrote:
>
>> I just subscribed to this list, so this reply is not properly threaded....
>>
>> First of all, I want to comment on the post from 3ivx.com. Please consider
>> using the Quicktime 4 Linux implementation from
>> http://www.heroinewarrior.com/quicktime.php3 for your quicktime parsers.
>> The reason is because this is already a fairly mature implementation. More
>> specific reasons will become clear below.
>

> This library might have a nice API, but the code that's inside is far
> from being 'mature'. It's x86 ASM and C spaghetti, highly unportable,

Ok, so its not elegant, but it is more mature than writing something
from scratch. The assembler is there for obvious performance reasons;
even gstreamer includes some x86/MMX assembler. But I agree that there
should pure C equivalents for any assembler routines. The question is
whether a cleanup or a complete rewrite is in order. In the case of a
rewrite, surely some implementation details of the spec can be be more
quickly understood from its source. Also, for the purposes I outlined,
compatibility with the Heroine Warrior implementation is desirable.