[gst-devel] Fwd: Re: mpeg2enc, gstreamer, and libcodec

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Thu Apr 26 18:38:44 CEST 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:56:41 +0200
From: andrew.stevens at philips.com
To: omega at temple-baptist.com
Subject: Re: mpeg2enc, gstreamer, and libcodec

Hi Omega,

Your message is very timely.  I'm currently in the last few days of a
final release for v1.4 of mjpegtools (and hence mpeg2enc).  The new
development has already branched in CVS and the big jobs for me once the
releases is done are:

1) Embed the tools in gstreamer rather than the current naive pipe based
implementation.

2) Re-engineer the multiplexer as a general purpose multi-stream MPEG
mux-er rather than the semi-hard-wired MPEG1/2 mux it currently is.
Obviously, gstreamer would be the platform!

Anyway, gstreamerification is about to start: Wim Taymans contacted me
with an offer to lead this effort (good news for me as it'll soften the
learning curve).

The codecs libs sound very very good news too.  The mjpegtools need colour
space and iDCT for sure.  The vlcgen tool sounds like mana from heaven.
vlc is now a non-trivial component in mpeg2enc run-time (everything else
got faster!).

I can probably contribute a few snippets of MMX/SSE asm too.  What I'm
currently trying to find is a good implementation of Intel's SSE (not just
MMX) optimised DCT recommendations.  The Intel tech notes just give the
outlines but not complete source code.  Since such code is extremely
fiddly starting from scratch from just the recommendations is a
labour-intensive sport...

In terms of functionality I have now frozen mpeg2enc.  I.e. no new
features only Bug-fixes and environmental adjustments like
gstreamerification.  The plan is that time permitting I want to work on
the MPEG-1/2/4 encoder being built in the sampeg project.  Conveniently we
have the full MPEG-4 specs here in the office.

Anyway, for project stuff the best email address is (for the moment):

andrew.stevens at planet-interkom.de

This one goes through Philips Notes system (R4.6 and it sucks.... hard)
and I'm trying to seperate work from fun stuff.

Dr Andrew Stevens
Concept Engineering
SP3D Chip Design
Petersbrunner str. 17