[gst-devel] build things

Andy Wingo apwingo at eos.ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 10 09:20:02 CET 2001

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been doing some more work :
>
> a) autogen.sh has more output and more uniform handling of auto*
> dependencies; do me a favour and test it ;)

ya'll really should take a look at the script, it's quite nice.

> b) I'm not sure how to handle sdl checking when sdl isn't installed.  I
> had put AM_PATH_SDL in configure.ac but I guess that's silly if you don't
> have /usr/share/aclocal/sdl.m4 which you won't have without the devel
> packages.  So I added the contents of that to acinclude.m4.  Is that the
> right way for now ? I suppose getting SDL pkg-config'd would be the best
> option ? Anyway, I have someone testing that now.  I also put in some code
> from vlc in configure.ac as a test for that, maybe that's too much ?

that's the Right Way, imho, at least until pkg-config is more widely used.

> c) I'm getting fed up with the docs build.  I put in a particularly stupid
> hack in gst/doc/Makefile.am (check cvs commit) which should not be
> necessary, but I have a feeling from trying it manually that it's going to
> break during the next step.  Can we make a decision on what to do with it
> ?

why are we even adding sgmls, etc to the dist? (i assume that's what's
happening, looking at the makefile). I have a local copy of what gtk
does, modified for us. it's a bit different. once i'm sure it' not going
to break something i think i'll commit.

great work btw. you're racking up the karma ;)

wingo.