[gst-devel] gst-plugins

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Thu Dec 20 15:34:02 CET 2001

Hi everyone,

I've started committing and fixing stuff in the new gst-plugins module.
I'm doing each module one by one, fixing and standardizing checks, CFLAGS
and stuff, use of USE_ vs HAVE_ (as per wrobell's suggestions), and so on.

This will take some time but I'll keep the module compilable as it is.

If you're changing plugins, please see if it's in gst-plugins yet first.
If so, please fix it there, so that no fixes will get lost during the
splitup.

A nice feature I implemented is the use of an "enable" and "disable" file.
Just list the libraries/plugins you want disabled in a file called
"disable", and autogen.sh will pick up on it and disable those plugins.
It makes for quicker building if you're only working on one plugin.  Mine
atm reads

xvideo
oss
vcd
v4l
qcam
mad
vorbis
esd

because I checked these and moving on to the next set ;)

It's a little rough but it works atm and it should be an easy transition
to CML2 if anyone wants to do that (wingo ?)

All of sys is mapped out now.  Some stuff should be looked at and I keep
notes of this in TODO.

I've also added mad, vorbis and sdl for now.

A few pointers when trying to compile :

* set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to your uninstalled gstreamer dir when compiling
  against uninstalled gst
* if you've installed gstreamer more than a few days ago, you might have
  to regen gstreamer(*).pc
  If you have compile problems and the gcc line has @GST_CFLAGS@ or
  something to that effect, this is the fix
* run gstreamer-launch --gst-plugin-path=(path to gst-plugins module)
  to register plugins

Enjoy.

Thomas

Just like you said