[gst-devel] compile problem, gstprops.c:57: pointers are not permitted as case values

Tim 'Tool-Man' Taylor tim at tool-man.org
Sat Feb 17 00:33:09 CET 2001

I'm attempting to compile gstreamer using GCC 3.0 (gcc from CVS).  That
alone may be enough information for you to tell me "too bad, that's not
supported" :)

I get this error:

gstprops.c:57: pointers are not permitted as case values

And a few more just like it from the remainder of that switch statement
and another switch later on in the file.

I /can/ compile and run gstreamer fine with egcs-1.1.2.  I'm using GCC
3.0 to get GCJ and with the intent of linking a Java program to
gstreamer using CNI.

I'm not much of a C hacker, so I'm not really sure what to play around
with to try and fix this.  Is this a case of something that worked in
older compilers but shouldn't have?  A google search on "pointers are
not permitted as case values" only bring up a hit for the patch
submission to gcc that put the error check in place.  In the gcc 3.0
manpage, I couldn't really find a switch to ignore the error and compile
anyway.

--
Tim Taylor
tim at tool-man.org