[gst-devel] Properties

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Wed Jan 3 20:06:57 CET 2001

On 03 Jan 2001 18:21:06 +0000, Richard Boulton wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 06:05:59PM +0100, Wim Taymans wrote:
> > This is probably also related to the way metadata is going to be handled
> > using the properties
> > too, instead of the compile time struct that is used now.
>
> Are you referring to the MetaAudioRaw, etc, stuff?  I'm not quite sure how
> that works, but it looks hacky...

yes...

> In particular, I'm not sure what MetaAudioRaw.format represents.  The
> format of the audio data, I presume, in some way?

Metadata is/was used to add extra information to a GstBuffer. Its use
becomes more and more
questionable because we now expose a lot of the possible media in a
buffer through the pad
caps.

Metadata will probably still be used in the future to attach timestamps
or runtime media events
to the buffers, not sure about that. I will probably also use the
properties API so that no header
files are needed and the metadata can be controlled by the plugins.

Wim