[gst-devel] Now what??

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Thu Jan 11 15:21:53 CET 2001

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:16:01AM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> Now we need to decide what we're going to do next.  Our options are to try
> to get some more things working for 0.1.1, and keep plugging on major
> work.  Or some combination of the above.

I think the main aim should be to keep plugging on the major work.  Writing
fun little components (eg, I want to do some more Esound stuff) is more
appealing, and therefore is likely to distract us anyway: if we _aim_ to
focus on the major infrastructure work, then we should get the balance
about right... ;-)

> There are several areas we might improve for 0.1.1, including EOS handling
> and better state control, getting the wincodec stuff to work better/at
> all, etc.

EOS is the most important thing, as far as I'm concerned.  Followed by
sorting the state control stuff out.  It's the only thing that stops us
from having a nice command-line mp3 player, for example.  (If you ignore
the dependence on having a DISPLAY...)

> We need to keep working on the documentation, which I think should remain
> a priority no matter what we do.
I'm going to keep plugging away on the PWG...

--
Richard