[gst-devel] GObject thoughts so far?

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Sat Jan 20 14:37:59 CET 2001

On 19 Jan 2001 20:07:12 -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> I know that several people (ajmitch, taaz, wtay) have looked into GObject
> so far, so now I'm curious as to what you guys have learned.  Can you each
> post your thoughts so far, with outlines of the features that look
> interesting, useful, or problematic?  We'll try to get a coherent view of
> things over the next week or so, so we can start planning our transition
> to GObject.

disclaimer, I just looked at the source code...

- GObject is a bit more complicated now. Not much I can say about this.
    The migration to GObject should be quite straightforward.
Docs/examples are not really
    available yet. gkthtml2 can be used as an example of GObject usage.
      - g_signal_connect seems gone: use g_signal_connect_data/object
etc...
      - gtype.h has some space to register fundamantal types: we need to
contact RH if we
         want to put some of our types in there.
      - gtypemodule/plugin?
      - I can't figure out the interface stuff...
      - closures (language bindings?)
 - other glib goodies:
      - g_thread: seems complete with rw locks and all
      - cmd line parsers g_shell?
      - gspawn, to fork processes, handle pipes, etc...
      - gtimer: can replace the mess in gstclock.c
      - lots of unicode stuff
      - queue/asyncqueue: pretty uselass for us.
      - all data structures are thread safe

Wim

> TIA,
>    Omega
>
>       Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
>         __
>        /  \                GStreamer - The only way to stream!
>       |    | M E G A        ***** http://gstreamer.net/ *****
>       _\  /_

War spares not the brave, but the cowardly.
                -- Anacreon