[gst-devel] GObject thoughts so far?
wim.taymans at chello.be
Sat Jan 20 14:37:59 CET 2001
On 19 Jan 2001 20:07:12 -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> I know that several people (ajmitch, taaz, wtay) have looked into GObject
> so far, so now I'm curious as to what you guys have learned. Can you each
> post your thoughts so far, with outlines of the features that look
> interesting, useful, or problematic? We'll try to get a coherent view of
> things over the next week or so, so we can start planning our transition
> to GObject.
disclaimer, I just looked at the source code...
- GObject is a bit more complicated now. Not much I can say about this.
The migration to GObject should be quite straightforward.
Docs/examples are not really
available yet. gkthtml2 can be used as an example of GObject usage.
- g_signal_connect seems gone: use g_signal_connect_data/object
- gtype.h has some space to register fundamantal types: we need to
contact RH if we
want to put some of our types in there.
- I can't figure out the interface stuff...
- closures (language bindings?)
- other glib goodies:
- g_thread: seems complete with rw locks and all
- cmd line parsers g_shell?
- gspawn, to fork processes, handle pipes, etc...
- gtimer: can replace the mess in gstclock.c
- lots of unicode stuff
- queue/asyncqueue: pretty uselass for us.
- all data structures are thread safe
> Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
> / \ GStreamer - The only way to stream!
> | | M E G A ***** http://gstreamer.net/ *****
> _\ /_
> gstreamer-devel mailing list
> gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
War spares not the brave, but the cowardly.
More information about the gstreamer-devel