[gst-devel] streaming server

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jul 11 11:26:14 CEST 2001

Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2001, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:
>

>>It /can/ be, but I seem to get shouted down everytime I start talking
>>about a monster plugin with a builtin queueing and I/O dispatch system
>>to handle multiple clients at multiple rates... ;)
>>
>>m, thinking 'gstreamer-launch v4lsrc ! jpegenc ! webcamsink port=60000'.
>>

> Shouted down?  I thought I explained how to do it! ;-)
>
> As I mentioned in IRC, gstreamer would work well as a 1-to-many server,
> like above.  It's entirely the wrong solution if you're doing media
> serving, even seeking.  If you start adding reconfigurable server-side
> filtering. you might be wanting to use gstreamer for obvious reasons.  But
> it's not designed to scale to a many-to-many server design.  Not to say it
> couldn't, but I'd look elsewhere first (i.e. search google for 'c10k' and
> read up).

Well, his way of doing is not that wrong if what he wants to do is live
broadcasting. But kinda useless when people are now expecting being able
to seek backward and forward (not for live streams of course), but it's
a valid point.

Could be used for a teaching tool as well, broadcasting from the
teacher's machine to the students' ones. Or a shoutcast/icecast server
(a complete replacement, not like icecastsend)

Cheers

---
/Bastien Nocera