[gst-devel] [ gstreamer-Bugs-429399 ] 0.2.0: fix fullscreen or disable

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Jun 1 22:15:05 CEST 2001

On 01 Jun 2001 12:56:39 -0700, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2001, Ronald Bultje wrote:
>
> > If you want, Xavier Biquard is writing a YUV scaler for us (mjpegtools),
> > it can currently do downscaling very well and he's working on good
> > upscaling now.
> > It does any size to any size scaling. If that works I can port that to
> > gstreamer.
>
> It works in the YUV domain?  That could be very useful, though it could be
> pretty hard to do fast.  I'm going to look into creating a YUV->RGB
> colorspace converter with builtin 2x scaler, at least.

It's not that fast, true.
And a direct 2x scaler could be made much faster (just duplicate each
pixel for each second pixel and each second row). But this is more like
a real scaler, for any-to-any size. Might have other uses. We use it for
VCD-formatting (DC10+ records in 384x288/320x240 and yuvscaler scales it
to 352x288/240 -> VCD resolution) or SVCD formatting (480x480/576)

> Does he use MMX?  If not, I'm willing to help make it mmx, or aid in
> optimizing what's there (I've done a *lot* of that).  It would also be
> good to consider putting something like this into libcodec, or some
> variant thereof (I'd like to have several such libraries, once I figure
> out how to split the specialization infrastructure out), since it's
> something that is going to need to a) be really fast, and b) be really
> fast on many architectures.  More at codecs.org.

t doesn't use MMX. If you want to help, please do so. The code is in our
CVS at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/mjpeg
I hope it's useful. I myself am no good at MMX, unfortunately.

Regards,

Ronald

--
-   .-.