[gst-devel] rpm build problems

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Jun 5 09:40:50 CEST 2001

Hi,

>One thing I've noticed, especially in tests/ and gsteditor/ is that
>compile and link flags are totally nuts.  flags and libs are repeated
>many times.. in some cases many many many times.  The end result output
>is the same but in some basic tests I got some of the tests/ bins to
>link in half the time (ie, 6s downto 3s) just by taking out repeated
>-lfoo references.  I can't tell where this problems is coming though. :(
>In any case, for those of us with non-GHz computers I think the total
>build time could be reduced by a couple minutes by fixing this.

That's the effect of using ..-config in Makefiles.
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ gtk-config --cflags
-I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/us
r/X11R6/include
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ gdk-pixbuf-config --cflags
-I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/us
r/X11R6/include
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ glib-config --cflags
-I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$

See how they are the same?

[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ gtk-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXe
xt -lX11 -lm
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ gdk-pixbuf-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -lgdk_pixbuf -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -l
gmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$ glib-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -lglib
[rbultje at tux rbultje]$

Also see the similarities here?

But since it only makes the compile-lines a bit longer and since this won't
affect the resulting binaries, it's not that bad - just leave it that way,
that's just the way it is.

Regards,

Ronald