[gst-devel] configure.base prototype

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Mon Jun 25 21:40:23 CEST 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, Richard Boulton wrote:

> I suggest that as much as possible is coded into a macro,
> to ensure that we don't enter cutandpaste hell...
Good point.

> I also suggest that the dependent plugins are a separate argument to this
> macro, allowing a list of plugins which are to be built / not to be built
> to be calculated.
Another feature could be a table that gets printed at the end of
configure, as a 'warning' that lists the dependent libs that weren't found
and which plugins won't build because of that.  That would be easier for
people to see than the warning at check time, which'll get scrolled off.

> We'd get something like:
> GST_CHECK(esd, [enable esound plugins], esdsrc esdsink,
> [AM_PATH_ESD(0.2.12, HAVE_GSTTESTLIB=yes, HAVE_GSTTESTLIB=no]
I think it needsa lot more stuff than that:

GST_CHECK(libesd,LIBESD,[esound plugins],esdsrc esdsink,[
  esd_save_LIBS=$LIBS
  esd_save_CFLAGS=$CFLAGS
  AM_PATH_ESD(0.2.12, HAVE_LIBESD=yes, HAVE_LIBESD=no)
  LIBS=$esd_save_LIBS
  CFLAGS=$esd_save_CFLAGS
])

The idea is that you'd end up with an --enable-libesd that sets
USE_LIBESD; USE_LIBESD is used to decide whether to make the check or not,
which sets HAVE_LIBESD; if HAVE_LIBESD isn't set, USE_LIBESD goes away.
USE_LIBESD is then AM_CONDITIONAL'd and AC_DEFINED and everything else
that needs to be done.

> I've not looked at that yet, but I would very much like to improve the
> configure output...  From the look of it, it should never be a hard
> dependency for developers to fulfill, so I have no problem with it being
> required.
Yeah, it's a pretty lightweight dependency, though it seems that the
beautifying m4 macros aren't part of shtool, but stuff you grab yourself
(i.e. from pth) and put it in aclocal.m4 or somesuch.

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_