[gst-devel] GStreamer as Mozilla plugin

Steve Crouse stevec at oeone.com
Thu Mar 1 16:37:17 CET 2001

Hello,

    I'm attempting to write a plugin for Mozilla that uses GStreamer to
play audio and video files. I should have the basics of my plugin
working except for a couple issues. The first thing I want to be able to
do is simply play an mp3 using the plugin, so I based my code on the
helloworld sample included with the GStreamer distribution. Here are the
problems I am having:

- The call to gst_init() requires argc and argv. Since I am in a plugin
I don't have a main() function so I just created my own argc and argv:

        int argc = 2;
        char *argv[] = { "test", "test" };

        gst_init( &argc, &argv );

    This causes a compile error

            passing `char ** (*)[2]' as argument 2 of `gst_init(int *,
char ***)'

    I got around this with a cast to make it compile but I'm sure that
will come back and bite me in the ass later.

- Once I've got things compiling when I run the plugin I get

        ** WARNING **: gstplugin: registry needs rebuild

        ./mozilla-bin: error in loading shared libraries:
/usr/local/lib/gst/libgsttypes.so: undefined symbol: gst_plugin_new

    I think once these two issues are worked out I should (knock on
wood) be able to play an mp3 using the plugin. So if anyone reading this
knows the solution to either or both of the above problems please let me
know.

Thanks,

Steve Crouse