[gst-devel] Capabilities API functions

Thomas Nyberg thomas at codefactory.se
Wed Mar 14 06:43:02 CET 2001

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 01:54:22AM +0000, zaheer at grid9.net wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be nicer to return a GList or GArray rather than hack
> > parameters into return values?  What is this info stored as internally?
> > (yeah, I'm too lazy to look ;)
>
> I was thinking of that....it is stored as stated above in a list (GList)
> of properties of a certain node in the caps linked list where name is
> mimetype.  However returning the Glist that its stored in may not be a
> good idea....

It would be nice to make some standard of what properties should exist
and how they should be created/stored/used.
It would be nice to have a
const GList *gst_pad_cap_get_depth(pad);
that returns a list of all depth that pad can handle.
Which could be just a wrapper for a
gst_pad_get_cap(pad, "depth");
or something likethat. The easier API, and the less work needed to
use it, the merrier it is :)

It is better to have a few ugly gst_pad_cap_get functions than to
have ugliness all over the place.

Of cource, functions that works the other way around - settings the
values of the props - would be nice.

/Thomas

Thomas Nyberg                    thomas.nyberg at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 335 61 64