[gst-devel] Mixer plugin

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at chello.be
Fri Mar 16 21:17:15 CET 2001

On 16 Mar 2001 03:52:45 -0500, Lee Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, you wrote:
>
> void gst_mixer_set_audio_level(
>        gst_mixer_element e,
>        int sink,
>        int source,
>        float level     );
>
>  float gst_mixer_get_audio_level(
>        gst_mixer_element e,
>        int sink,
>        int source );
>
> 1) What's wrong with having to have a header file to compile something?

because they are only what they are. What if I wanted to have a double
as the level? or an
int as the level? You can go on forever defining headers like this for
video and audio and all
possible combinations.

> 2) Why coulnd't the editor be programmed to call these routines

the editor has to know about the headers (compiled in). Adding a plugin
to the system will not
automatically show its interface in the editor.

> In general,(I think) there is something very fundamental about allowing these
> sorts of routines. It is the natural way to program.  In essence the above is
> like a javaBean.

A JavaBean uses introspection on the methods/properties, this is exaclty
what the
Gtk+ argument system does. the point is that the possible interfaces to
the element should
be made available to the application at runtime.

>  I only say this in the
> most genuine concern.  I hope you respond  because (I think) this is a
> discussion worth having.

I'm not saying that headers cannot be provided in special cases, but we
should also
provide a non-header interface to the plugins.

> BTW: have you see the Java Media Framework at Blackdown(I'm sure you have).
> What do you think of it?

I briefly looked at it, I was not terribly impressed by it. I will look
at it some more.

Wim