[gst-devel] GStreamer wiki

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Sat Mar 17 15:54:32 CET 2001

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 07:44:29PM -0500, David I. Lehn wrote:
> I've set up a GStreamer wiki based on MoinMoin.
I think it's a great resource.  But I agree with the worries expressed
about excessive duplication of effort.  We should focus on one system for
producing documentation, and one system for

I could improve the situation somewhat by producing a search service which
works across the email lists, the docbook documentation, the website and
the wiki, if people think that would help.  (My business is producing
search systems, so this wouldn't be too hard for me...)  But that isn't
really a solution to the problem, it's just treating symptoms.

Perhaps we should move all the documentation which is currently in DocBook
format into wiki?  The big disadvantage of this would be that we lose the
ability to easily produce printable manuals, and reference documents.
Would it be possible to write a script to convert parts of the wiki into
DocBook format?  Then we could have a single system to produce
documentation, and automated tools to convert it into other desired
formats.

I am spending the rest of today working on the Plugin Writer's guide.  I
may move it into wiki temporarily in order to work on it: I think I will
find myself more productive that way.

--
Richard