[gst-devel] Meta-plugins: a proposal

Thomas Nyberg thomas at codefactory.se
Sun Mar 18 14:52:17 CET 2001

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 02:09:36PM -0800, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Thomas Nyberg wrote:
>
> > If one would use a common standard to assign types to each plugin, an
> > audiosink might be "Audio/Sink", and an echo-filter might be "Audio/Filter"
> > (using anything but text for this, seem to have some resistance :)
> >
> > Then one could simply do a
> > gst_factory_get_me_my_list_of_nice_plugins_matching_my_type("Audio/Filter")
> > and then retrieve the list.
> We already have this capability, called the plugin's 'class'.  When you
> run the editor and get the dialog to add a new element, the hierarchy is
> generated from that element class.  This hierarchy is not quite clean
> right now, having evolved poorly, but a week ago there were some
> suggestions as to how to fix it.

(Oh, my mistake... last count gives around 130k lines of code to browse
through :)

However, is there a "standard" proposed for naming of the different classes?
Or is it (still) open for discussion?

/Thomas
Thomas Nyberg                    thomas.nyberg at codefactory.se
CodeFactory AB                   http://www.codefactory.se/
Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 10       Cell: +46 (0)70 335 61 64