[gst-devel] Video props heads-up

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Mon Mar 19 10:29:06 CET 2001

I was looking through some stuff and ran across an interesting class of
video sample formats: 4:2:2:4 and friends.  Note the fourth part.  That's
the key channel, aka alpha-channel.

Since there are no FOURCC's for these kinds of video, we have to come up
with some different scheme.  Do we want to carry this to the extreme and
develop a sufficient set of properties to describe video outside the
FOURCC concept, like we are doing with audio relative to the OSS or ALSA
pre-defined sound types?  Is that even feasible?  Do we do that, as well
as use FOURCC's for existing known formats like YUY2 and such?

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __
      _\  /_