[gst-devel] audio/raw vs float

Richard Boulton richard at tartarus.org
Mon Mar 19 23:25:58 CET 2001

On Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 12:54:44PM -0800, Simon Per Soren Kagedal wrote:
> One thing about endianness - most elements that operate on int
> audio/raw streams will want to have it in the host's endianness. In
> specifying capabilities and meta data, you should be able to just say
> "host" for endianness (in the code, that is - not in the actual stream
> since that wouldn't work over a network..).

I don't think theres actually a need for this.  The caps are to define
what endianness an element is _able_ to cope with.  If the element
can cope with either endianness, it should just specify that both values
are acceptable (or not specify the property at all, if its certain that
there will never be any other possible values).

If the element has a preference for a particular value of endianness,
and compatability checking finds that either possibility is available,
the caps negotiation would give the element a chance to choose its
favorite.

--
Richard